Friday, October 22, 2010

Top 4 rants of Native English Teachers in the Classroom (Part 2)



You just moved to Korea and you already feel like you're on shaky ground. A new work environment, new life, foreign language, culture and foods... your entire world is turned upside down and being a foreigner will feel like your largest wound! When Korean Teachers dole out punishment, your being an outsider and not knowing the Korean language will surface your vulnerability-- you feel helpless, as if you have no control. What are some Korean war tactics used against the NET's in the classroom?...

Top 4 Popular rants of New Native English Teachers:

The cold shoulder (aka Ice out)
Icing out is a manipulative tactic many of us learned to use in high school, when we
wanted to punish other kids. When a fellow mate wants to speak to you or asks for help,
just give them the cold and silent treatment, so they feel your wrath. The EPIK/NET's biggest rant with adjusting to co-teacher roles of power in the classroom:  
When it's my turn to teach my co-teacher walks to the back of the room, sits down and makes phone calls; refusing help or acknowledging attention.
Silent war maneuvers of sticking it to you so you feel uncomfortable
Similar to the above mention. I used to feel like one of my KT's, would purposely leave me alone to teach our "worst class", just to stick it to me because I asked to lead more activities. Why would you leave a new NET alone to teach your worst class, even after the NET told you not to do that?  These are the mysteries of the Korean system that NETs must learn to handle on the spot.

Avoidance: Not giving you translations.
From kids fighting, telling a joke or speaking of their concerns in Korean, when my  KT  doesn't translate what's going on, it's bothersome. I feel I'm left in the dark and in western terms, it's considered a bit rude. What's worse? When my KT given classroom directions in Korean and I don't know what they are! In that case, I cannot even support an exercise and I've been castrated as an assistant.
Speaking in Korean to override your commands.
If I give the students specific instructions as to what I want to do and my KT overrides me on the spot and does it by speaking Korean ... it's the same as talking badly behind my back. What's worse, it's being done in front of my face and in front of the class!  Now not only have I lost face, my authority has been demoted in my students' eyes and I will also be wondering for the next 5-10 minutes why my students aren't following my instructions.
Possible solutions:
•  Read the signs and diffuse the bomb as soon as possible.
• Talk with your KT about our feelings and concerns about how their actions come across. Give them an opportunity to explain how they feel before accusing them.
• Ask what you can do to make the situation agreeable to both of you.
•  Let the KT's know you're there to support them.
•  Find tactics in which you can negotiate your duties
in a non-threatening way
 i.e. If you want more responsibility, encourage your KT by asking how you may support their workload better. 
And while I don't quite consider this "co-teaching"-  • I have diffused bombs quicker, when I remind my KT's that they are the alpha male of the class and I'm merely the assistant.
*  Side Note: If I'm only an assistant and it's not my class, I will not be doing any lesson plans or taking full responsibility. ;-)

What are some of your co-teaching rants or solutions? Please leave your thoughts below...

No comments:

Post a Comment