Saturday, February 26, 2011

Korean Teacher Farewell Party at my School


If the YouTube video (above) does not show, click on the link to see the full page.

The Korean public school system regulates that it's teachers and principals change schools every five years. This year, six of our teachers were leaving (as well as my principal, whom I really love). This past Wednesday, my school had a going away dinner for the teachers in our school.

We had a dinner at a banquet hall and a buffet with tons of foods I could eat. Then it came time for the
formal "goodbyes". All six teachers came to the front, were given a farewell envelope of money and had to give a goodbye speech. Seeing as the librarian and myself were also leaving but weren't officially school staff, we were also called to the front and had to give speeches.







Surprise.

An impromptu speech! Having recently discovered I could travel "wing it" in Laos without a plan (posts are in the scheduled lineup) I felt bold. I winged my speech.

Something to the effect of -- there are many things I want to say, but I can't find the words to say them. And even if I did find the words in English to say them, I wouldn't be able to translate them for you in Korean. But from the bottom of my heart I say thanks to all of you. I will remember my time here, my students, the school and all of you, who have touched me and made my life here welcome.


Sun Hee Park (right) is a 2nd grade homeroom teacher who is leaving. She has also recently completed an English program for English teachers.

Mr.Kim (4th grade homeroom) is another teacher who has done his 5 year sentence at Anil.

Me and my principal
Noraebang (노래방 or singing room)
If I haven't mentioned it before, Koreans love norae (sing). Singing is more a part of the cultural hearts than dance or any other kind of artistic expression.

My school doesn't have as much dinner parties or noraebang sessions as others do, but when they have these parties, they really know how to party! Just check out the video above! The woman boogie-ing down in that video is the woman above, my cute and quiet principal.

Trot (트로트) music is one of the oldest predecessors of Korean pop music. It's a style I hear often on the TV when I'm riding on the bus and it's something I'm beginning to like. The music is known for it's distinctive rhythm. The song, Denpol (in the video above) is one of my favorite songs. If anyone knows of singers who sing this song, please let me know.  I'm hunting it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment